[Public-List] Backing up

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Fri Nov 6 12:58:50 PST 2009

Whenever I've backed Candy Cane up, I've always noticed windage to be a
far more significant factor than prop walk. Though I'm usually backing
out in a fairly tight space where I use stern lines (on a med mooring)
more than the prop to pull the boat back, I'm also in a really nicely
sheltered mooring where the windage shouldn't be that noticeable either.

My only successful techniques for Alberg-backing typically involve
warping. (This isn't intended as a defeatist statement; I backed Candy
Cane into her winter mooring just the Sunday before last quite quickly
and efficiently).

Cheers,
Kris
Candy Cane #583