[Public-List] Backing up

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Nov 6 14:33:10 PST 2009

Hi Gang -

I agree... SURPRISE  is no problem to back up unless the wind makes
her want to lay her head in a direction other than that which I want
her to.     She will always try to turn her stern into the wind when
backing up.  We counter this by using 'burps' of power and lots of
sternway so that the rudder has a chance to work.  Another factor is
that the effect of the wind is related to time. The shorter the time
you are doing your maneauver, the less the cumulative effect of the
wind will be.

When all else fails, the A30's ability to spin within her own length
saves the day.  Sometimes rather than try to make SURPRISE do
something I know she won't do, like back up turning downwind, we turn
the other way and spin her.

Gord #426 Surprise