[Public-List] Backing up

David Terrell dterrell1 at charter.net
Fri Nov 6 18:53:29 PST 2009

Al et.al.,

I went from a two bladed to a three bladed  propeller and had improved performance in backkng and in stopping. That said, the most important thing I found was that the boat would back pretty much where I wanted ti to go if I put some serious reverse power on and then put it  in neutral and let the tiller itis work. Now, while backing out of a slip, going to port or starboard does not seem to matter much. In specific cases, wind speed does not seem to matter either. We do not have current or tide in the Great Lakes so I can not comment on those issues. On one occassion, I needed to get out of trouble and put some  reverse power on and to my considerable suprise, the boat's course was straigjt as a string. Problem sovled.

The summary is that a a combination of strong  burst of power at first, followed by moderate use of the tiller with the engine in neutral, with an occasional application of power as needed,  combined with a three bladed propelle. produces really good results. I am not sure what might have happened had I used more power when I had a two bladeed prop. Maybe I  woudl not have felt I needed to move to a three bladed prop. Can  only report on my actual experience. In any case, I am deliglted with the three bladed prop. I have only had back into a slip once. There results were ok, but not spectacular. My guess is that practicte would make better - not so sure about perfect. No disasters occured In retropsect, I think I was light on power on that occassion.  To be honest, confidence  as well. I will think about backing into the slip next summer - as  an experiment, if nothing else.

David, 432