[Public-List] Cockpit Drain Seacocks

Rachel penokee at cheqnet.net
Tue Nov 24 14:20:10 PST 2009

Hi Roger,

I was considering moving my cockpit drain seacocks so that they
discharged out the transom; that's what engendered my thread about it
back then. I thought I would turn to the list with my thoughts and get
some feedback before I did anything.

Looking back at my notes, I think I calculated about 13" from the
bottom of the cockpit (forward) to the waterline, but I am not
positive about that, as my notes are a bit cryptic.  I was also going
by the bootstripe and what looked like the traces of the actual
waterline.

I will warn you that this query upset a number of people, and was what
got me labeled as  "NEO-MARINE ARCHITECT" (for potentially wanting to
change the original set-up).

I backed off on the idea and went with replacing what was there with
better components.

Later, watching Yves Gelinas' film (for the umpteenth time :), I
stopped it at a frame where he is relaunching in the Chatham Islands,
and it's pretty clear that there are two scupper holes in the counter
(above the waterline).  I bet they are for cockpit drains, and he did
make it around the world in the Southern Ocean.  What I don't know is
if they were supplementary, or if he put them in in place of the
originals.  I did note that he still had the stock 1-1/4" bronze
scupper drains in place in the forward end of the cockpit sole.  Of
course I can't tell if those were routed to the holes on the counter
or not.

Rachel
ex #221