[Public-List] Cockpit Drain Seacocks

Bob Norway examiner at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 24 20:16:28 PST 2009

Just a side note on cockpit drain seacocks, if you still have the original
gate valves. While I was aligning my new engine installation in Beowulf #488
(a Beta Marine 16hp), I accidently had to try to support myself by putting
my hand on the handle of the port gate valve. Apparently an original valve,
the TOP of the valve where the handle stem entered the valve broke
completely off! Fortunately I had a rag handy to stuff into the 1/2 inch
(approx) hole from which water was now flowing. After staunching the flow, I
put an epoxy plug in the top of the valve and then clamped a bit of split
hose around it as a sort of permanent/temporary repair until the I can
afford to have the boat hauled. At that time I will replace both the broken
valve and the still functioning starboard valve with ball valves. Needless
to say the is the first thing I inspect prior to and after a sail.

Point of this is that on examining the piece of the valve top that broke off
I could readily see that it was completely corroded through. I could
actually pulverize the rest of the piece by squeezing it with a pair of
pliers. Fortunately there is no real pressure exerted externally on these
valves and there location behind the engine keeps them from being accidently
pressured by anything (unless you're working behind the engine).

So, if you are considering changing these valves.... DO IT!!!! Oh, BTW all
the other valves in the boat were already changed to ballcocks by the
previous owner. Why the drains were not, I have no idea.

Cheers,
Bongo Bob Norway
TLCB Webmaster
http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/