[Public-List] Cockpit Drain Seacocks

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 25 06:36:25 PST 2009

I am with Mike on this that I can't believe there are still gate valves
in these boats. Even in fresh water, the spindles rust through. These
were brass valves meant for house plumbing systems. They all need to be
replaced. I also know it is now extremely difficult to get a seacock
that is only one metal as most have gone to bronze bodies and stainless
valves. Wilcox-Crtittenden no longer makes seacocks and they were the
last I know of who made seacocks and valves from one metal . The Groco
ones have two drains on the sides of the body to drain any water from
behind the ball. It is a bit difficult to get to these behind the motor
and on the backside of the valve but that at least relieves the
expansion room for freezing in these valves. Groco seacocks  are
expensive but do work well. Groco also have a terminal built in for a
grounding system wire but that is moot if there is crevice corrosion in
the stainless. It is possible to replace the ball without changing the
body. There is a difference between a ball valve and a seacock: a
seacock has the flange and floor fastening system as an integral part of
the construction. Seacocks are recommended because of the problems that
arise from torque on in-line ball valves and the soft metals of through
hull fittings. It is possible to bend or break things with just a ball
valve that is unsupported in the line. If you have any doubts, check
with your insurance company to see what they will pay out for or what
their specs are for these systems. I have the feeling that you will
expect them to pay if things fail and the boat sinks. You should not
expect them to pay if your improvements are not to their specs and those
sub- spec systems fail.
    There is one problem in the plumbing in these systems. Whitby used
nipples in the gate valves rather than barbed ends so the pipe fittings
that are on the bottom of the floor do not match the size of the barbs
or nipples that fit on a seacock. Do not use nipples again.  It is
really not easy if you do not live on salt water shores to get bronze
fittings to change thread sizes here if you stay with the through hull
from floor to bilge that is on the boat. One might want to consider a
new through hull system for the floor drains. A second problem on the
more recent boats is that the 1" gate valve on the through hull out the
bottom of the boat has two 1" hoses running to it, one from the cockpit
and the other from the scuppers. The new valve should be larger to
accommodate the two intakes. If you want no restriction if both cockpit
and scupper are full, then 1 1/2" full flow seacocks should be used.
Otherwise go with 1 1/4" seacocks. The difficult piece to find for this
is a bronze T that is 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 x 1 x 1. Bushings are then needed
and as usual, the more pieces you buy, the more dollars that fly out to
the boat.
    For those of you who do occasionally sail with the boat on its ear
and don't want the ocean or lake in the bottom of the cockpit, the hoses
can be crossed but this makes any access to the prop shaft more
difficult. It does stop the outside water from getting in though. You
will find yourself buying some 90 º elbows for this too.
Don