[Public-List] Mast Sail Track Fasteners

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Tue Oct 20 10:45:42 PDT 2009

Thanks. I had thought of the corrosion issue - stainless on aluminum.  I have decided to go back the  way it was - aluminum rivets with steel mandrel and I will remove the mandrels as suggested.  Although I would prefer machine screws I should accept that the existing ones have probably been there for 42 years and not once over the past 5 years since I have owned her has the sail track ripped off the mast.  Not a bad average.

ps Gord, that was quite a dilemma you had.  It is a beautiful part of the world.  Nootka Lighthouse is an historic landmark.  Thankfully, all west coast light house keepers have a temporary reprieve from the threat of lighthouse automation.  Public pressure on the Federal government was too much but the issue has not gone away.

cheers

Mick