[Public-List] Tiller Head

J Bergquist jbergqui at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 08:12:45 PDT 2009

The reason that shafts are made with keyways is so that if you hit
something with enough force to shear the key, you shear the key
instead of breaking the shaft.

Go to a boat show and look at rudder stocks, and I challenge you to
find one that is through-bolted. Nobody makes them this way and there
is a reason for that. They always have keys and the reason is so that
if you hit something you shear the key instead of breaking the shaft.

Engine shaft couplings and propellers are made this way for the same
reason. Keys are easier and WAY cheaper to replace than shafts,
propellers, rudders, or other machinery.

Bottom line: it is much cheaper to replace a key than to replace a
shaft. In the case of our rudder stock, you can take the head off with
a wrench in the cockpit. Imagine how much work it would be to replace
a bent or broken rudder shaft. It would require a haul-out for
starters. Not to mention the fact that the rudder stock is an integral
part of the rudder itself, so it would be a real pain to get it
separated from the rudder blade, have a new one made, and re-install
it.

Do what you want, but for my money, I would see if you can fix the key
and/or head fitting. It's regrettable that you had a hard time getting
a new head from Edson, but that's nothing compared to what it would
take to replace a rudder stock.

A key will not guarantee you won't bend or break a shaft, but it
certainly is a cheap insurance policy.

That's my $0.02.

Kind regards,

J Bergquist