[Public-List] Main Sail Track Fasetening

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 19 18:34:12 PDT 2009

Mick:
    So far no one has mentioned galvanic action and if you are in the
ocean with the boat, you might want to add that to the mix. Stainless
will also disappear with what they call crevice corrosion as the alloy
ingredients leak out with electrical current. There is no way without
compromise, it is just where you decide to compromise. I would have
thought that round head machine screws with Roberson heads would have
fit the slot in the low part of the track.
    I do know that if you use something like a Garhauer vang on the
existing track for the gooseneck, you can put enough pressure on the
gooseneck to strip the threads on those bolts holding that track to the
mast. And then you will be into using coil thread fillers there. I have
found that any attempt at backing plates even as low as the gooseneck
are a difficult thing to align, and if one uses anything but aluminum,
you are back to the galvanic capacity again. Steel and aluminum is not a
good mix and you can see the results of that if you look at older
highway trailers used in Canadian winters, hence ones that get road salt
on them,  where steel bolts and aluminum frames are in close proximity.
The aluminum goes very soft and flaky while the bolts get very rusty.
Even the titanium coated ones will oxidize with the acid rain we have
here in Ontario.
    My suggestion would be to use what has worked for the first 42 years
and be prepared to replace those sooner the next time.
     Finding the force that is actually pulling on the sail track is not
easy, but if you use the standard sizes for sails, those forces should
not have changed much and if you use a reefed main or a Dragon main with
a short foot, you will not stress the track beyond design. If you are
worried, then doubling the number of sail clips will half the force at
the sail clip and spread the force more evenly and closer to the fasteners.
Don
.