[Public-List] Main Sail Track Fastening

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Oct 20 07:16:25 PDT 2009

The 'Lighthouse' story is one of the best might-haves in our life.

On a quiet evening years ago at the Toronto Int'l Boat Show I struck
up a conversation with the guy manning the Coast Guard booth beside
mine.  It turned out that he was the Director of Aids to Nav for
Central Canada.  He described his astonishment that they could still
recruit people to man lighthouses on remote parts of the west coast.
I went home that night and described this to my new wife; and she as
usual was a bad influence on me and said 'let's try!'.

I applied and as expected got a letter right back telling me the
chances of being considered were slim.   A few months later out of the
blue I got another letter giving me three days notice to get to
Victoria for an interview.   Away I went got interviewed.  Later, I
was told I was 'hired' and that I should stand by for my posting.   I
called and asked if they wanted to interview Caroline... the deal was
that I would command a salary as Lightkeeper and she would earn a
smaller one as Assistant.   The CCG man told me with a deep voice
"Gordon, we of the Canadian Lightkeeping service have been appointing
Keepers for over 100 years.  We have come to trust our choice of men;
we trust their choice in assistants'.  I said 'Thanks'.

My Dad was not very happy about my career choice.  He asked me what I
thought I was going to do out there.  My half joking comment about
having a lot of time to chase Caroline around the island did not
mitigate his feeling that I was side tracking.   Seriously, we
reckoned we'd do it for a couple of years saving money and have some
adventure at the same time.  The pay was not huge but there were
isolation benefits that made the pay nearly tax free.  We had no
obligations then so we would have been able to bank most of every
month's joint pay.

The months passed, every time I spoke with the CCG office there was
some reason or another why our posting might come next month.  More
months passed.  Eventually we gave up, after two years of 'maybe next
month' we bought our house and started our first child.   We moved in
the house in January of '89.    In March, the firm posting came.    Oh
the agony...should we go or not?   After a week of discussion and
investigating various plans we decided that with the baby coming we
could not do it.  I wrote a long letter to the Coast Guard explaining
and they were good enough to respond saying they understood and
offered to keep us on the list.  Our names came up again but the
window of opportunity for us to hide on a rocky point for a couple of
years had passed.

That's the light house story - now where is the Irish whiskey?

Gord