[Public-List] Main Sail Track Fastening

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Oct 20 15:04:36 PDT 2009

Don Campbell wrote:
>    If I were having to look for something for this isolation, I would be
> hoping to find a thin film in liquid or gel  form with a chemical
> attraction that would coat the metals and isolate the metals from
> reactions.  It only needs to be several molecules thick.

I have used silicone caulk for isolating stainless fasteners in
aluminum.  It doesn't do a perfect job in the threads, but otherwise
seems to work fairly well--at least, for awhile.  If you can, get the
kind that is safe for electronics (doesn't smell like vinegar when it
cures).

> There are some materials that the electricians use on aluminum wire
> for connections from the grid (usually aluminum wire for cost
> considerations) to customers systems that involve a connection to a
> dissimilar metal. That is where I would start. These guys play with
> electrical current all the time and know the problems only too well when
> the fire department is called to put out the fire from the short circuit!

Those gels are more designed to provide good electrical conductivity
than to isolate the metals.  The big problem with aluminum/copper
electrical connections is that they expand and contract at greatly
different rates, breaking the gas-tight contact that is desired.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org