[Public-List] Mast cradle for canal and winterizing

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Fri Sep 11 09:12:12 PDT 2009

Bill,

I transited the Erie Barge Canal on a Petersen 43.  It had 60' Mast
weighing 600+ lbs.   I built 2 large saw horses (one forward, one aft)
tall enough to stand under in the cockpit.  I blocked up the middle of
the mast.   I then lashed down the mast to the rail to prevent left to
right movement at each saw horse and the middle block. and then lashed
forward and aft to prevent forward and aft movement.   You really need
to ensure the lashings are secure because a sailboat rolls much more
violently without the mast up.  You don't want the mast moving while
underway.

Larry
#501 Solstice