[Public-List] bugs

Dave Terrell Dterrell at message.nmc.edu
Mon Sep 14 07:21:33 PDT 2009

It was recently reported to me that many bugs do not like mineral oil, even noseeums. The person who shared this info said one could wipe the oil on screens, etc and they would stay away.

Any experience using this product to repel the little buggers?

David, 432

>>> "Roger L. Kingsland" <r.kingsland at ksba.com> 09/10/09 11:34 AM >>>
Speaking of bugs,

I lived in Salt Lake City for some time some time ago and occasionally
sailed on the Great Salt Lake (very large and surprisingly popular for
sailboats, so shallow have to stay about 1/4 mile off shore). Every year
for a few weeks we would get infested w/ brine flies (small, slow, not very
active); approximately 75 million were assigned to every boat leaving the
harbor. They covered everything; deck, sails, hair; knock them off the
sails and get piles on the cabin top. It was difficult to walk on deck
because the result of them being crushed under foot would make it too
slippery (yuck). They were so dense, the best defense was a gas driven leaf
blower (where do you store that), but they keep coming back. Best thing to
do is stay home during brine fly season; or go climb a mountain, they have
lots of those there.

Roger 148