[Public-List] Dave's waves

Hugh McCormack hugh_alberg at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 20 15:39:26 PDT 2009

This is still intriguing.  I was thinking that, given the calm conditions, you may have experienced the wake from a large ship travelling at a good speed somewhere out in Lake Michigan.  With enough distance the wake might arrive long after the ship had passed.  However your waves came from the east which would tend to rule out that source.  Waves will refract around points of land and continue in a direction different from their original path.  In this case the waves would have to change direction by roughly 180 degrees which seems highly unlikely.  This event would have to have been initiated by a fair bit of energy to produce a 2 foot wave in otherwise calm waters.  This is particularly so given the distance that the waves travelled and also the implied length of the waves perpendicular to the direction of travel.

A quick check for seismic activity in the area does not seem to produce anything recent (see the following  http://www.iris.edu/seismon/ ) so a local trigger seems unlikely.

Cheers,

Hugh