[Public-List] Would this work???

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Mon Sep 21 15:23:48 PDT 2009

Alfredo,

When I move my Alberg 30 I do so using a 2001 Ford 250 and it's own custom made trailer.  My set up is illustrated on the Alberg 30 Web Site under Misc-Trailers-Lorrie Rose.  A goose-neck or fifth wheel trailer is safer because of the reasons Roger pointed out.  My set up uses torsion bars to help equalize the weight.  I do know that the newer Ford trucks have a higher towed weight capacity than a 1991 model.  My 250 is rated at 12,000 lbs towing and I have added a 15,000 rated frame hitch and air bag suspension to stabilize the tow vehicle.  The package I tow weighs 11,800 lbs, that is boat and trailer.  I tow the boat without any extra gear or fluids on-board.  My tandem trailer has 6,000 lbs rated axles with brakes on all four wheels.

I have moved my boat perhaps 7 times and each time it is scary just like the first time.  Each time I have towed without incident or anything close to a near death experience..................still I am VERY cautious.  Even though the rig tows 'like-a-dream' I do not tow over 45 mph.  Even on a 500 mile trip I usually take two days.

I approach towing my Alberg as I would an unfamiliar port at day or night. I feel responsible as the skipper in charge whether it be towing down the highway or navigating on the sea. I would be devastated to loose my boat in either scenario. It can be done and with safety, but if one is cocky about it you will pay the price with major damage or worse.

Best of luck,

Michael #133