[Public-List] Standing Rigging

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 25 09:37:23 PDT 2009

I'm not sure of the total length, but if you print out a copy of:
http://www.alberg30.org/boat/A30sailplan.jpg
on a regular sheet of paper, you can measure them on the plan relatively easily, then add 1' extra per stay for wastage.  A drawing program can also be used to fairly easily measure the stays.  Please submit your lengths after you have built the stays to the website as it would be helpful to know all the lengths.

If you want to compute the lengths, stay length = sqrt(height of stay^2 + length at base),   so for instance, the height of the back stay is 38' (36 mast + 2' to deck), and the length from the base of the mast is 17', so the back stay is about 41.6', so I would buy 43" for that stay (this is the longest stay on the Alberg 30, so this is the length of backup wire you should keep on board for emergency use).

Also, you should be familiar with the article from good old boat, a web-copy of which is available at:
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/GoodOldBoatQuickAttach.CFM
which tested the various do it yourself connections.

Finally, if you are using 1/4" on the lower, you MUST ensure that your chainplates have sufficient clearance to drill the larger size holes, or you have to replace them (I recommend that latter if you are going up in size, as they are a bit undersized regardless - at least 1 mast has been lost due to undersized chainplates on an Alberg 30).  I don't remember the clearance formula as to how much material needs to be left after drilling the larger hole, but it is some multiple of the hole size that needs to remain all around the new hole (I think I have the required clearances at home in a table in a book somewhere, so I can probably find them for you if you need).  Most chainplates will not have this clearance and will not be usable drilled oversize as they are already close to the limits.  The problem with the size change is that if it weakens the chainplate enough from material loss, then you are really increasing the changes of losing your mast, not
 helping yourself keep it by having bigger stays.

Thanks,
Bill.