[Public-List] Fractional rigs

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Sep 26 14:58:49 PDT 2009

Well you will laugh John...

I was day dreaming about the feasibility of cutting the ballast off,
having a lead keel designed and cast complete with a deadwood to make
up the volume due to the lead being denser and smaller in volume for
the same weight.

Why all this radical thinking?   When I got SURPRISE she had a 40 year
old main and a totally blown out 170 on the furler.  She was over on
her ear in 10 knots of wind and my old War of 1812 schooner went to
weather better.    What a difference a tuned rig and a new suit of
sails made!!!

Gord
426 Surprise