[Public-List] What glue and tar do we need???

elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 2 10:50:15 PDT 2010

Dear friends,
It has been a while since I wrote on the list but spring is here and we want to start the work that is needed on our A30. We had a great 2009 with a 1900 miles trip through the Great Lakes - something we really enjoyed.
Our issue is - we have to re-do the two hatches that have been leaking. The way they were made (about 3 years ago by the previous owner) - the woods of 3 - 4" x 18" have been glued onto the base with no distance between them. The hatches were then laquered several times and did really look good in the first season. Unfortunately the wood seemed to dry-out a bit more (I guess from 12 to 8% as required) and the woods stated to create spaces between themselves. This created the leaks and now our work. Also, the laquer fell off already after the first season.
What we want to do is the following:
1.) Remove all the woods from the base (some have already fallen off - I do not know what glue has been used but it seems a rigid one that cracks if the wood moves).
2.) Remove all the laquer/paint on all the wood.
3.) Cut down the woods by about 1/8".
4.) Re-glue them (with the space between the woods) onto the base, which is also out of wood.
5.) Use a tar (like on real yachts that have wooden decks) to seal between the woods.
6.) Use a natural oil once or twice a year to treat the wood (no laquer).
Now here are the questions:
1.) What is the proper glue to glue the wood on the wooden base?
2.) What is the proper tar to push between the woods for sealing?
3.) Anybody knows a supplier in Montreal???
For your info - I visited the local large fine carpenter store and they were not able to supply me with anything I would require.
Thanks for the info.
Bruno & Elyse
Lady Heron, #297