[Public-List] Cockpit Floor Repairs

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Thu Apr 8 10:15:09 PDT 2010

I did a similar job on #231 a few weeks ago.   A previous owner fitted a 20*11 plastic hatch length ways down the centre of the cockpit.  Additionally, the cuts made to install it were not sealed.  Needless to say everytime someone entered the cockpit the floor flexed and water flowed into the core.

There is a great description of how to do this job on a Triton website (I can did it out if anyone wants it).  I cut through the top fibreglass layer all the way around the cockpit, 2" from the edge.  The piece was removed whole very easily.  I used a dremel to cut around right at the point where the ply ended.  I re-glassed the gap in the lower fibreglass section (hatch location) after removing the rotten ply.  I used a closed cell foam as a replacement for the ply.  I thought this would be a good solution.  I expoxied everything and put the top fibreglass section back.  I tapered the edges where the new section met the floor strip that was not removed and fibreglassed in.

On completion I realised I was not happy with the repair.  Water will get in the sandwich where the rudder passes through the floor.  I could not find a way to seal in this area.  My solution was to glass over the whole floor and raise the thickness of the top layer to about 3/8".  I can jump up and down on it and it doesn't budge.  The extra weight is not an issue for me.

I have also fitted a beautiful cast aluminum hatch 20*11 across the cockpit floor near the scuppers. Not original obviously but it solves the age old problem of access.  The whole floor is very strong with good access.  Not sure some of you  would want to here that as its not original.

So I agree, I am not convinced on the merits of foam but then again, balsa would not have given me piece of mind either.

cheerio

Mick