[Public-List] Valve Failure

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 19 09:10:19 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

Last week while preppeing te boat for spring launch, I closed the valve to the galley drain and was shocked and surprised when the handle broke off. I have seen these failures on gate valves, but never before on bronze Groco ball valves (neither had Fawcett's or Jack Hornor, marine surveyor), since the shaft is sealed from the ball by a teflon seal. So it makes me wonder how crevice corrosion could cause this failure, and makes me a bit nervous about the other Groco valves on board. They all look fine from the outside, but so did this one, and it is only about 5-years old.

George posted a photo at;

http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Plumbing/GrocoValve.jpg

It might be a good idea to check you valves.

Mike Lehman