[Public-List] Marine Survey

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Apr 26 07:43:27 PDT 2010

Hello friends -

SURPRISE endured her periodic 1/2 decade insurance condition survey... I was
pleased (well a little surprised) to learn that I did a good job of the
cockpit core repair, my #2 fuel tank installation was good, and my decks
aren¹t as bad as I feared they would be.  The only real horror/surprise
embarrassing moment was the discovery that the orange cylindrical flare
pistol kit was full of water.  Can¹t imagine how that happened other than
guessing that a drip from the leaking genoa track was landing right on the
seam of the canister.

My areas of concern were not unexpected... Water has crept into the core
around the chainplates port and starboard; the electric wiring fitting
beside the mast step, and I got instructions to find a way to put my
batteries into proper boxes.  At the moment they are under the cabin sole;
strapped down, but there is no room there for boxes.  I¹ll have to do some
head scratching about that one.

The work was done by Nicole McLoughlin of Kingston Ontario.  I first met her
many years ago when she was a petty officer aboard STV PATHFINDER.  She was
meticulous and professional, clearly highly skilled and has a high degree of
respect for more traditional yachts.

Now ­ I have to get SURPRISE in the water... Maybe next week.

Gord #426 SURPRISE