[Public-List] Foredeck Issues

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Apr 3 20:55:18 PDT 2010

Brennan,

I'm guessing you have a later boat, with a balsa core, and making my
comments based on that.

I would sound out the deck.  You can do that by tapping on it with a
quarter, listening to the quality of the sound.  A dull "clack" could
indicate either a wet core or a dry delamination.  I've got some
creaking on my starboard side deck from dry (I think) delamination.  One
of these days I've got to get back to repairing the entire deck.

How serious it is depends on whether it's wet or dry.  I don't /think/ a
dry delamination will spread, but a wet one certainly will.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org