[Public-List] V Berth Cubby

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:16:09 PDT 2010

Kris

The top of the tank is aluminum. The bottom of the tank is the boat. Whitby just made a finished surface on the inside (on liner boats, like yours) the inner liner of the boat is the 'tank' with an aluminum lid. The aluminum was a poor choice since it oxidizes and flakes off into your water supply. Some folks have removed the top and sealed it and then re-installed it, Some folks have replaced it with a SS lid, I replaced mine with a 1/4" fiberglass lid. If you replace the lid, you'll be fine. A couple of things to do...1. drill out all of the pop rivets (poor chice of fastners since water can push through the center holes) and replace them with SS screws; 2. clean up all of the old dolphonite (gray putty, now turned hard and leaks) with a better sealant (I used 3M 5200); 3. install a 6" inspection plate in the top of the tank so you can reach inside and clean out the tank periodically (I do this annually).

Hope this helps

Mike Lehman