[Public-List] V Berth Cubby

vmarmei vmarmei at axis-design.org
Tue Apr 6 19:46:09 PDT 2010

Hi Kris.....
I did not install a new tank....I only changed/replaced the aluminum
top for a new stainless steel top. I epoxied and painted the existing
inside tank/hull wall....replaced the pipes and fittings to stainless
steel, new hoses and put an 8 inch larger access deck plate for easy
cleaning of the interior of the tank.
  I do add a little dab of Javex to the clean water......this
chlorine over the years eats up the aluminum top and always
contaminates the clean water....it also promoted water leaks from the
bow.....that is the reason I did the work.
The new water had a bad smell and taste for a few weeks...but after
2/3  changes of water over a month it became normal.....I rigged a 12
volt small portable weighted bilge pump,which I can now dump into the
bottom of the tank and pump the whole tankful over board in a few minutes.
This pump also helps to empty the tank before haul out......it is a
nice conversation piece and makes me lots of A-30 friends who want to
borrow it.
William