[Public-List] V Berth Cubby

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 7 06:29:16 PDT 2010

Kris Coward wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> Changing the top and painting the inside would probably more than suffice
> for me (and even that's somewhere near the bottom of my to-do list --
> but then things have a habit of breaking and reorganizing to-do lists,
> so...). Since my contemplation is usually provoked by the little white
> bits in the water when the tank is low, or the weather's been heavy, I'm
> going to assume that they're little pieces of aluminum salts all eaten
> from the top of the tank.

The assumption that these are aluminum salts may not be justified. The
flakes  are much more likely to be calcium or magnesium carbonate salts
from our hard water that have precipitated out because of changing water
temperatures and similar reactions to any aluminum oxidation reactions
but since calcium and magnesium are higher on the activity scale, they
will react before aluminum will. Chlorine will only increase the number
of flakes as you will find them similar to those with CLR. With these
calcium compounds present, and chlorine,  you get calcium chloride,  a
water soluble, deliquescent and efflorescent salt. This needs to be
completely washed out of the tank system because it will keep  releasing
free chloride ions once dissolved in water (that it can attract from
humidity in the air) which acts as a weak acid upon dissociation. The
chlorine may then react with the aluminum and etch the surface if there
is not enough calcium in the water to neutralize that reaction.
    The best thing to do is check the water in the tank for bacteria
before you use chlorine and then choose your bactericide carefully. You
may consider hydrogen peroxide to be better if you can get enough
concentration from pharmacy available sources.  Peroxide is a much
sweeter chemical than chlorine.
    Municipal chlorine contents are about 6ppm. FYI. Dumping large
quantities in without knowing concentration is not a good idea because
chlorine or chloride is fairly toxic to all life,  including you! I seem
to recall from pesticide courses that sodium chloride is lethal for
humans at 3500 ppm.
Don