[Public-List] Cockpit deck core job

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 8 08:15:23 PDT 2010

A few very necessary basics to remember:

    Fixing a fix is more expensive and often much more difficult than
doing it right the first time.

    If you start a job, finish it completely and do it well to avoid
fixing a fix.

    A truss is only good if it is rigid, so anything that aids
rigidity,  especially in areas designed to carry weight and not flex,
like cockpit soles, is better with more not less, so tabbing should be
considered. It is not expensive to do and is one of those things that
one ought to question about the original. Did the system fail or
partially fail because of a lack of strength or tabbing in the first place?

    Then bonding epoxy to polyester is always a concern and great care
needs to be taken to make sure there is ample mechanical grooving to
increase surface area between the  two. 50 grit or larger abrasives are
necessary here. Any weakening here will compromise the truss rigidity
factor that is intended from a rigid layer below and a rigid layer
above. The rigidity is the result of the bonding. If the bonding fails,
the truss has failed. Chopped mat scrims also play a role for added bonding.

    The next is that polyester is not waterproof and epoxy is much more
so, so if there are weaknesses in the epoxy in the core, they will
ultimately get wet when the cover is polyester. Therefore consideration
of replacing the polyester cover should be undertaken if waterproofing
is a concern.

     Epoxy is not UV stable so if you have left any exposed epoxy in
joints or cracks, and UV does hit it, you will have a breakdown in the
epoxy product. Any direct sunlight is all UV radiation, winter or summer
or anywhere in between.  If UV  degradation weakens the joint, then the
truss is weakened too.

    There are steps that do need to be followed and those includes
covering all sun exposed epoxy asap. The easiest is to use a quality
deck paint and for cockpit soles some grit is nice. I suggest that
Sikkens deck paint is a good,  cheap product for this and can be
obtained from any Nobel-Axel dealer. It gives you time to make a more
expensive decision (if you want to) without compromising the strength of
your epoxy work. However, recovering deck paint with the deck paint
again is still cheap and easy. (Use of these products will mean that you
cannot use bare feet as the best footwear and you will not want this on
the benches. I have used it on Y-flyer decks and it wears the seat of a
pair of pants threadbare every weekend regatta.)
Don