[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1791, Issue 1

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 14:01:22 PDT 2010

Interesting. I bet that would work. What did was wrap the tube with
fiberglass cloth & epoxy to bring it up to 1 1/2 so I could use a
proper stuffing box hose. I'm confident this is plenty strong enough,
but it's the inside diameter that concerns me. I take some comfort in
the fact that it's worked for 40 years without a scratch on the prop
shaft. Still though. I'm thinking of having a new shaft made and they
are expensive!

-jeff

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Michael Taylor <m_tayau at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Jeff - have you thought of welding a bronze bushing over the top of the log  on the inside end to take the OD out to 1 1/2".  I haven't looked on the boat but I can't think of reason why this would not work.  That way you could use proper stuffing box hose.  You could use aluminum bronze bushing a welding rods so compatability shoudn't be an issue.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Mick

Jeffrey Fongemie