[Public-List] Marine Survey

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Apr 27 04:29:01 PDT 2010

Good morning Rob - that's a good cautionary tale!

Now how did you come to name your boat?  Are you a Canadian?  Good Hope was
the name of Admiral Cradock's flagship in WW1, and the first that Canadian
naval officers went into combat in during that war, 1914.   Bon Espoir (Good
Hope) is also the motto of my Naval Reserve Detachment HMCS YORK in Toronto.

Gord #426 Surprise

On 27/04/10 1:31 AM, "rbrtschindler at netscape.net"
<rbrtschindler at netscape.net> wrote:

Hi Gord,
I found a way to get my battery boxes below the cabin sole.  After
> struggling for an hour
I gave up and put the box on the dock to tend to other
> chores.  It was a pretty hot day and
probably sat in the sun for a couple of
> hours.  When I came back to retrieve the box I found
it was rather maleable.
> I figured I'd give it one last try and low and beholed(with a little helpon
> my part) it went in.  With the next box I filled it with boiling water and
> found it went in even
easier than the first.  It may distort the box a little
> but that is a small price to pay for the safety
of my boat.
  To answer Mike's
> question on why there should be battery boxes I'll tell you a little story.
fellow boater down the dock from me had a little issue a couple of years
> ago.  He was out in rough
weather one day and returned to the dock with no
> problems, or so he thought.  He plugged his shore
power in and went aboard to
> make sure everything was all right, buttoned down the hatches and went
home
> for the night.  He received a call from the Marina owner at 8am the next
> morning relaying that
his boat was underwater.  It seems that the 2 bank
> charger had not shut off at full charge and baked
his battery to such a
> degree that it shorted out.  We all got a look at the battery after she was
> raised
and loaded on her trailer and the top half was physically missing
> except for the negative post and half
the positive.  There was a hole the size
> of a quarter directly below the battery and a 14" diameter spot
around it that
> was so brittle it would crack to the touch.  Now I could caulk this one up to
> the fact that
it is one in a million, or that it was a Bagliner(sorry
> Bayliner) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I know
it seems trivial but the
> worst part is that his insurance company tanked his claim due to an
> outdated
survey which would have required him to have battery boxes installed.
> Just something to think about.

Cheers,
Rob
Good Hope