[Public-List] Cockpit deck core job

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu Apr 8 05:37:22 PDT 2010

I didn't use foam core or any of the other materials available because in a
small high traffic area like the cockpit sole something capable of taking a
real pounding was, I reckoned the way to go.  If I were doing a larger
expanse I would have worried more about weight...but in a smaller area the
diff in weight between the lightest synthetic and a piece of 3/8" plywood
(which was the perfect thickness) is I think negligible in the scope of the
boat's displacement.

I am not going to worry about water in the wood because the plywood is very
well soaked in epoxy.

The plywood was cheap, already in stock in my workshop... And as I see Don
has remarked, hard to beat for strength.

Gord #426