[Public-List] Cockpit deck core job

jdusseault jdusseault at synergem.org
Thu Apr 8 09:10:39 PDT 2010

Subject: Re: [Public-List] Cockpit deck core job
15 years ago we repaired our cockpit sole.  It was almost completely
delaminated over its entire area and was soft.  To repair it I used a
drill with a 3/4 + in. bit and drilled a large number of holes through
the top layer till we hit the bottom layer.  Using small screw dirvers
and stiff wires, etc. we pulled all the wet core out.  We used a shop
vac to get much of it out.  This went very smoothly.  We continued
untill we hit dry core (almost none).  We then layed in strips of
fiberglass cloth to help give some strength and poured west system epoxy in
the holes till the space was full.  I put some filler before pouring  but
left it clear enough to flow easily.  This was a day's work.  The following
morning everything was dry, smooth and hard.  I then covered the sole
area with a nonskid material.  For us it was a perfect solution and
continues to be solid all these years later.

Unfortunately Kilwinning is going to be on the hard this summer.  I am
writing this from Riyadh Saudi Arabia.  Not much sailing here!  Have a
good summer!!

Jacques Dusseault
Kilwinning #446

--