[Public-List] Spuds and thigs

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 15:33:48 PDT 2010

I carry a set on Isa Lei.  Not as heavy duty as the Pride but....   Mine are made of 1 inch PVC pipe and they are generally used when I encounter a pier that is a bit too high with an undercut section at the water.  I have also used a 2x6 board fender hung vertically for this job.  Another maritime use is to moor a barge - long pipes on the corners that are lowered to the bottom.

Roger
On getting your old diesel out of the tank try one of the cheap pumps that you put on an electric drill.  A lot easier than by hand, but don't do this with gasoline.  Make a wand out of copper tubing to insure you really are on the bottom of the tank.  If you find there is a lot of crud you will want to pull the tank for cleaning.  Unfortunately with a plastic tank there aren't too many solvents that you can use to break up the tar like stuff that is deposited in the tank.  With the tank removed from the boat you could stick a pressure washer wand in the fill hole and blast with soap, then rinse, let dry upside down in the sun for a couple days.  After drying pour some denatured alcohol in and slosh it around, dump and dry again.  At this point it should be reasonably clean.

Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt