[Public-List] engine replacement

SANDRA BISSET sandimark at rogers.com
Mon Aug 23 16:09:00 PDT 2010

Hi all,

After plaguing us with a long and imaginative list of problems over several
years our old Atomic 4 has passed on. I'm looking at various engine options.
Right now a rebuilt Atomic from Moyer Marine is the front-runner. Moyer has an
exchange in which it ships you a rebuilt engine and accepts your old engine in
the same shipping crate. The whole thing would run about $6,000 Cdn installed.
We would like to install a Yanmar diesel but the cost seems prohibitive because,
among other things, the engine beds will have to be altered. I'm looking into
Beta Marine (Kubota engine), which fits the existing engine bed. Westerbeke also
apparently fits, though the Alberg site articles on repowering say it is pricey.
My fondest wish would be to replace the whole shebang with an electric engine,
but in researching these I'm concerned e-engines and the batteries that support
them aren't where they need to be to provide the power we need for extended
cruising on Georgian Bay (those lee shores have teeth!). I recall one Alberger
on the list had made the conversion to electric and I'd be interested to hear
how it worked out.
So I'd appreciate some sage advice.

Mark Bisset,
Wanderlove