[Public-List] Original swageless fittings?

Jamie & Deb Little jamerdeb at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Aug 28 03:26:26 PDT 2010

Hi folks,

	I am in the process of replacing the standing rigging on our 1969
A30 #405.  All of the stays have what I assume to be the origional
nicopress crimped eyes at the mast attachments.  I've swapped out
those for Quick Attach swageless fittings.  I am re-using the
swageless studs down at deck level.  The fittings down there appeared
to be Sta-Lok...however  when I took them appart, there was not a
former inside.  The cone appeared to be bronze.  The outer lays were
twisted up into a cavity in the end if the stud.  I purchased new Sta-
Lok cones  and went to work.  The cones of course slide on fine and
the problem comes when trying to get the whole thing started on a
thread. I've managed to get all the uppers completed, but last night
after lots of blood and curse words in the basement...I thought I
better ask you guys.  The only thing that appears to be the same as a
Sta-Lok is the shape of the cone.  I'm wondering if the cone itself
is too big in diameter to allow the fitting to go together.  The
other interesting thing is that unlike the Sta-Lok, my barrel that
slides onto the standing part, before unlaying the strands to place
the cone, has female threads and the swageless end of the turnbuckle
stud has male threads with the cavity for the outer strands.   Does
anyone know of any other manufacturers out there?  Am I asking for
trouble?

cheers

Jamie Little