[Public-List] Tiller head fitting

elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca elyse.pastor at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 12 07:14:26 PDT 2010

Dear Richard,
Elyse and I had the same problem last year - we needed a new tiller head fitting as the old (bronce?) one was 41 years old and enormously loose. After I read all the info including Edson fittings, and their fairly high costs (listed on their web site), I decided to give the old one to the machine shop close to our home and have them made one in 316 Stainless steel. If I remember correctly - about one week later, we had our replacement that worked perfect, cost about CND $250.00 and worked perfectly for its first 1800 nautical miles voyage of last year. Now in its second year - still perfect and considering 316 stainless - I know it will continue like that.
What we did was - only have the part manufactured that was worn out - which was the one that has the "key" and slips over the rudder shaft. The piece that is attached to the tiller was in perfect shape and we kept that one. If you want, I send you a picture of it and also give you the name of that Machine shop (just in case yours does not want to make it for that kind of money). I would also assume that if there are a few people who need one, the price per unit would go down even more.
With best regards
Bruno & Elyse
Lady Heron 297