[Public-List] Info on keel

Richard Mair ramair49 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:46:43 PDT 2010

The fiberglass will start to absorb water.A gouge like that would likely
expose the fibers and that is what would cause the water absorption..Though
the thickened epoxy will work it requires hauling  the boat.. If that is not
a possibility now i would get some underwater epoxy and seal the gouges till
the boat can be hauled..
  My preference for a repair would be to grind around the gouges about 3
inches out and taper the grind till the edges are just removing the gel
coat..If you can at this point let it sit if there is any sign of moisture
and let this dry out.. At this point cut progressively larger pieces of mat
to roughly match the taper you ground. At the smallest area you will need to
be 8 layers to give you the 1/4 inch.. 8 layers is the most you should put
on at a time,and lay them up with polyester resin..After this you can fair
and gel coat or inter protect 2000.
Richard. into the blue 609