[Public-List] combing repairs

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Aug 23 09:17:42 PDT 2010

Hi Roger,

The vertical rods are called 'drifts' and are a good solution.   Anything
you put into the cracks will eventually make the problem worse as the wood
expands and contracts.  On the expansion side the wood will press against
your filler (hard epoxy or soft caulk) and the crack will grow.  On the
contraction side the wood will shrink back from the filler and the crack
will be as apparent as before you put the filler in.

If you make yourself a drift of threaded rod, and slide it in while coated
with epoxy, you will have about as strong a solution as possible.  The
cracks that are already there will just become the character of the boat.
In the old days they used to fill them by rubbing beeswax over them.  That
will give you a flat surface to varnish, and when the wood expands it will
find the wax soft and non-adhesive enough that it can squish it out however
much it has to before the split is forced to grow.

Gord #426 Surprise