[Public-List] Info on keel

edward schroeder eddiediver at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 23 09:51:23 PDT 2010

Hey, everybody. Thanks for your prompt replies re: the Emotional Rescue keel. Many of you recommended methods to repair the fiberglass; none of you, however, told me the answer to my question.

Is the keel a certain thickness of fiberglass filled with misc. pieces of metal and filled with cement grout OR is it a solid metal keel covered with a certain thickness of fiberglass? When I was given management of the boat 8 years ago, the exposed V-berth sole was lightweight concrete encasing pieces of scrap iron. I have no idea how far down that material goes.

The bilge is not taking on water. Would you be concerned that the fiberglass is becoming saturated with fresh lake water such that we can not/should not wait until Oct. 15th for a haulout and repair?

With approx. 1/2 inch deep gouges in the very bottom of the keel, do you think that the encased metal is dangerously starting to rust and therefore expand?

I am the volunter boat manager and my thought is to wait until Oct. 15th, but I am being pressured by the club president to have the boat pulled now and repaired. If I do that, we loose revenue from teaching lessons, taking out under privilged urban kids, church groups, etc.

Ed Schroeder