[Public-List] Info on keel

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Aug 23 10:02:27 PDT 2010

HI ED -

Your ballast is a solid casting of iron that is shaped to fit closely inside
the lamintate that makes up your keel.

It is the full width of your keel and the top of it slopes from forward
aft... In the middle it is a couple of feet + from top to bottom.

Our sort of ballast is called 'encapsulated', as opposed to bolted on.
People pound tables spilling each other's beer about which type is 'better'.

A few gouges are not going to compromise the strength of your boat.
However, here's what can happen.

If water is getting in at the gouges, it is possible that it may work its
way past the iron and leak into the boat.  The glass over the top of the
ballast is probably watertight but is not intended to serve as the outside
of the boat.

The ballast casting is bedded in some sort of fibrous/powdery substance that
is likely vermiculite.  It will absorb water, which is a good thing if there
is a leak...but what is not so good is that the water in there will freeze
in the winter and slowly spread the encapsulating glass laminate away from
the iron.   The iron, in turn, will slowly rust and that will tend to spread
things as well.

Neither of these ills will result in tragic damage, but by the same token
they are not the sorts of things one seeks either.

The water absorbtion on the part of the exposed ends of the glass are
another issue already dealt with.

Hope that helps illuminate the issue...

Gord #426 Surprise