[Public-List] Old gas engines

Daniel Michaels nov32394 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 26 08:04:50 PDT 2010

Use aviation fuel 100LL

Dan

--- On Thu, 8/26/10, Paul Cheney <paulcheney at me.com> wrote:

From: Paul Cheney <paulcheney at me.com>
Subject: [Public-List] Old gas engines
To: "public-list at lists.alberg30.org" <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
Date: Thursday, August 26, 2010, 6:28 AM

Still scraping by with the A4, while rebuilding the carb on the dock I met a lot of other people having engine troubles recently. I had a friend who is also a mechanic helping me.  He suggested the reason so many people are and will have trouble with older gas engines is the gas itself. These engines were built to run on leaded gas, the lead in the gas acts like a lubricant. The low grade gas at most fuel docks also has ethanol in it which would do just the opposite. You can purchase a lead additive from most automotive supply stores and if you can't bring in your own high octane fuel there is another additive to deal with the ethanol. Can't remember the name - it's blue.  These changes made an improvement in my engines performance. Thought I would share incase others are/were in the dark about this.

Paul
#400 Strathgowan