[Public-List] checking on swaging

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Aug 28 04:57:22 PDT 2010

Hi, Randy,

On 8/27/10 11:38 PM, Randy Katz wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>        ON the subject of swaging-- anyone have general recommendations to
> share re: how ofter to replace standing rigging on saltwater boats? Like
> every ten years? 15? Depends on....? I've done the visual check and the
> feeling for broken strands, even in the higher parts up the mast.

I'm not recommending it, but the standing rigging on Calypso is 37 years
old, except for one of the upper shroud turnbuckles.  I've occasionally
checked for broken strands by wrapping a cotton ball around the wire and
sliding it to detect cracks that would indicate a strand might break.
If I were going offshore, I think I might take further action.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org