[Public-List] High Temperature

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Aug 30 17:21:52 PDT 2010

Usually, the A4 uses a 140 thermostat in salt water and (I think) 160 in
fresh.  The engine runs better at higher temp, but when you get above
160, the sulfates start plating out inside the engine.  That's the black
coating you sometime see in the water passages.  It's a thermal
insulator, and requires boiling out in acid in extreme cases.  Some
people run hot vinegar through on a yearly basis to reduce the buildup.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org