[Public-List] 2nd installment changes for cruising

Richard Mair ramair49 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 12:08:27 PST 2010

Hello -

Apologies for the long break between the last bit we wrote about storage and
this one.  We needed to take some time for family things, but we’re
returning to ‘normal’ life now.

Last time we said we’d talk about the storage in the main cabin in more
detail (at least, I think that’s what we said).  So here’s an idea of how
we’ve been doing things.

Starting on the starboard side, from the forward bulkhead and moving back
toward the stern:

Right by the bulkhead we had our fireplace (now removed - to be replaced by
bookshelf, and a different heater above).  Next to the fireplace and inboard
of the regular locker, between the bulkhead and table, we constructed a
ready locker for storing the things we would be using for making meals when
at sea (we store fresh fruit and vegetables there at other times).  In front
of the ready locker we turned the space beside the table and close to the
fireplace into a single seat.  This is a good place to warm up when sailing
in cold/damp weather, and is small enough to wedge into to take off shoes
and coats or wet foulies etc. when coming off watch.  The charcoal and wood
and other fireplace supplies were kept in the locker under the seating area.

The Alberg table, as you know, is very versatile - it sits in different
positions, depending on what we are using it for.   We found another use for
it, by turning the area under the table into storage for large bowls and
pots and some of our bulky stores.   (I found that storing things we did not
use frequently in their own bags saved a lot of time and aggravation - we
could pull them out and use them right away.)  We use a hinged, bolted board
along the top of what used to be the settee to hold the things stored there
in place but give us easy access when we need it.

Between that storage area and the  galley we have a portable cooler,
strapped in to prevent it moving during travel.  It has some advantages over
using the built-in cooler - moisture that accumulated inside is easier to
deal with and it is less awkward to reach into.  Plus the top has cup
holders, which are sometimes helpful (so long as we are not heeled too far
over), and it is one more place to rest things when we are preparing food or
drinks.

In the upper lockers on that side we store other food supplies, things like
spices, crackers, dried beans, dried soups, rice etc.  for day-to-day use or
ready access at sea.  All in waterproof containers, to protect them when
moisture found its way in.  We store pots and pans and utensils, hung on
hooks against the hull in the area below.

In the cabinets behind the sink and stove in the galley we store the usual
kinds of things - dishes, more spices, cups, glasses, mugs.  We tried
different things for the cutlery - we made a set of small compartments on
the counter, then stored them in a container held to the bulkhead by the
area by bungee cords (thanks, Gord M., for putting the cord there - we
re-purposed it).  We are going to try storing them in a container with a lid
let into the counter from now on - that should keep them easy to reach, out
of the way and clean.

Many of our tools are kept in the drawer on the starboard side - they are
heavy, it is low.  Heavier than the contents of the drawer on the port side,
since this is where we keep the various pieces of documentation for all the
equipment on board - guarantees and instructions etc. - and other things to
do with the operation of the boat.  Hopefully this is balanced somewhat by
all the other things that are stored on the port side...

On that side the top lockers are used as storage for currently needed
documents plus a miscellany of other things - envelopes, cards, bags.  The
area below is storage for magazines, guides, books and some art supplies,
and has a shelf on part of the top (angled slightly downward to keep the
books on better when we’re underway) where we keep reference books beside
the built-in cooler.  This keeps the books easy to reach when we are
underway, and the settee is being used as our bunk.  We made curtains to
keep the contents of that area and the books on the shelf in place while we
are sailing - most of the time they worked well, but we’re rethinking them
now.  We put bungee cord along the back of the settee, running in a /\/\/\
shape between top and bottom - having borrowed the idea from Bill, whose
boat we sailed on in the races during Friendship Weekend on Chesapeake - and
use them to hold things like extra clothes while under way and cushions
while at anchor.  We used hooks at the top, so we could unhook the cords
when we needed, and eyelets at the bottom, below the level of the settee
cushion, and knotted the cord around each eyelet.  We may replace that
system with netting we can tuck things into.

Instead of a single cushion we divided the settee cushion into two so that
we can get into the lockers below more easily.  Under the cushions we made
extra space for storing charts, which meant that we raised the cushions
slightly.  We did this by creating two separate areas framed by 1.5” by 1.5”
lumber and used plywood to make tops for them, then put an additional piece
of trim along the front of the settee to hold the cushions in place.  All
charts are stored in heavy-duty black garbage bags, flat and folded as
little as possible (though we have to fold them to fit on the table when we
use it as our chart table!).

Below the charts, in the locker by the bulkhead, we store the sewing machine
and some of the fabric we have, plus some of the sailbags, all in waterproof
bags.  Though we did find out that some should more accurately have been
called water-resistant.

After using the built-in cooler as a cooler a few times, we ended up using
it for food storage of the non-refrigerated type.  Shelves that will help
make things in there easier to stack and reach are on the list of
projects...  When he had the boat Gord M. constructed some very useful
shelves around the cooler, underneath the cockpit seat by the hatch, and
those we use for storing various small bits of navigation equipment, plus
binoculars and (again) other miscellaneous stuff.  Cans, sugar and other
supplies, in waterproof containers, under the floorboards - I think that
completes the storage in the main cabin.
Richard and Margaret 609 Into the Blue