[Public-List] Winter work

Bill Spires spiresac at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 15:42:51 PST 2010

I used to watch the crew at Mt. Pleasant boat building in Charleston, SC replace
and sister ribs in wooden boats.  They used an old piece of pipe laying across a
pile of burning wood.  When the new wood was "properly steamed",  and the amount
of steaming required seemed to be based on how long they wanted to argue about
how long it should be steamed, they would pound it into the hull with a sledge
hammer while someone crawled through the bilge to guide it.  Very low tech but
jeez could these guys get the job done.

Capt. Bill