[Public-List] Tack Hooks

Michael Taylor m_tayau at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 8 08:40:46 PST 2010

The sliding gooseneck fitting is going to be replaced with a bracket that will fix the boom position on the mast.  As part of this work I would like to fit tack hooks onto the vertical pin of the gooseneck fitting.  The effect of doing this is going to put the tack of the mainsail very close to the mast.  I am trying to picture what it is going to be like having this arrangement.  The tack hooks I have in mind secure to the  mast fitting under the head of the vertical bolt.

Having this arrangement enables the vertical bolt to be pulled up tight without binding the toggle but I am not sure that it will be practical having the tack so close to the mast.  The alternative maybe to have the tack hooks as part of the toggle itself but I have not seen any sizes that will fit into the fork of the boom fitting.

Does anyone have a configuration that you have been happy with or maybe how yours could be improved?

And thanks for the suggestions on the Cutlass and Boom question!

Mick