[Public-List] Cushions

Stephen Gwyn gwyn at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Feb 8 21:01:57 PST 2010

Hi,

My wife an I replaced all the mattress/seats on the boat a few
years back. The V-berth was definitely on the thin side and the
main settee cushions were not much better than a camping pad.
Plus everything was covered in 1973 fashionable orange cloth.

We had the V-berth done professionaly with 6-inch foam and
poly-cottton covers (500$) and we did the settee cushions
ourselves. For the seats, we bought a used 4-inch foam mattress
from a thrift shop (40$) and cut it to size with an electric
carving knife (10$). For the seat backs we reused the old seats
(0$). We made our own seat covers out aerotex (180$) from
www.crate.ca using the instructions in Don Casey's Canvas Work
and Sail Repair (20$).

The aerotex I would definitely use again. It's four years old now
but looks as good as new. The poly-cotton on the V-berth cushions
get damp every winter and looks grody. But we put fitted sheet
over top and then you can't tell the difference.

Stephen
#495 Quasar

  Stephen Gwyn                 |  Tel: 1-250-363-3136
  Dept. of Physics & Astronomy |  Fax: 1-250-363-0045
  Univ. of Victoria            |  Cell: 1-250-885-6969
  PO Box 3055                  |  E-mail: gwyn at uvastro.phys.uvic.ca
  Victoria, BC  V8W 3P6        |  http://orca.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn