[Public-List] Water inside v-berth with too much heel

Roger L. Kingsland r.kingsland at ksba.com
Tue Feb 2 13:54:55 PST 2010

Rick,

I think good old 148 has the same issue.  I first thought it was a leaky
water tank cap but wasn't able to confirm that.  Then I noticed the forward
bulkhead stops short of the top of the water tank and there nothing to
prevent water from finding its way aft.

I ended up making a new, raised floor out a triangular piece of plywood,
perhaps 10" higher (lot's of fun doing fiberglass work in such a confined
space).  I think the new floor it is far enough above the water line that I
can cut drain holes in the sides of the hull.  I have seen such an
arrangement on newer boats.  They might allow water in when healed over so I
thought of trying small clam shell vents over the holes that could work like
self bailers.  I also plan to add a watertight door in the opening to the
forward cabin.

It occurred to me the space could act like a giant dorade box where water
from a large cowl vent mounted in the deck above the forepeak could drain
thru the holes in the hull.  The air could go aft through vents at the top
of the bulkhead.  If necessary, a fascia could be attached to the forward
side of the bulkhead to divert water that could splash through the vents on
its way down to the drains.

An alternate could be to install the higher floor and run a drain hose to
the bilge.

Roger