[Public-List] Epoxy failure [was Steam bending Teak]

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 3 15:45:39 PST 2010

As far as I have seen, the closest boat to the AL30 that is of modern
construction is the C&C 99: 32 feet long, 9200 lbs, 540 sq ft sail area
sleeps 4 racer/cruiser. Did you know the hull weighs only 750 lbs and is
made with Proset epoxy that is heat  cured in a kiln? Just a thought for
you to explore on stresses and creep. (Proset is one of Gougeon's
commercial products that is  a development from WEST system). The other
stress place that epoxies are used is in the blades for the big wind
turbines. The epoxy blades do not fatigue the way metals do at the tips
of the blades,  which are normally travelling at consistently over 120
miles and up to 150 miles an hour all day every day without the
advantage of moving ahead like a wing on a plane or a sail.
Don #528