[Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 1729, Issue 1

Peter Milley milleype at kingston.net
Fri Feb 5 08:59:43 PST 2010

I have been reading this thread on epoxy resins with amusement.

We operate the tallship St. Lawrence II/ Brigantine Inc. All our masts,
spars, yards and booms are laminated with epoxy. we've never experienced
any issues with delamination. A mast will generally wear out with age
before it will experience any delamination issues. Surfaces prone to wear
around irons are problematic where surface coatings chafe and allow
moisture to gather. This needs to be monitored.
We have been operating our sail training vessel for the past 60 years, May
till November on the Great Lakes and Atlantic in all conditions. Our ship
is not a dock queen; it gets sailed!
Peter Milley,
v.Pres Brigantine Inc.
v. Chairman CSTA