[Public-List] Tack hooks

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 8 13:23:34 PST 2010

I replaced my sliding gooseneck with a fixed one and looked at many alternatives for reefing tack hooks and possible attachement points.

I finally decided to adopt the late Hal Roth's method of lashing the tack down around the gooseneck with a piece of light line (two passes) and a reef knot.  I did so less because of the much discussed tendency of the tack to come loose from the tack hook before the main halyard is re-tensioned, but rather out of my enthusiasm for Hal Roth's approach to many aspects of seamanship, including short-handed mainsail reefing, whisker pole deployment, and dropping anchor under sail.

(Sailing to windward short handed with the Genoa sheeted in, I lash the tiller, and either raise the mainsail when leaving harbour or reef the mainsail when the breeze gets up, at the mast, and at my leisure.  Or else I heave to and reef the mainsail. I like the stable attitude that the A30 readily assumes in both cases - - no rushing back to the tiller required.  Both of these methods have also worked for me on a Beneteau 235 with its fin keel and separate transom hung rudder.)

Cheers,
DFTessier
A30#319 TROIS BOULEAUX

Message: 4