[Public-List] Downhaul for headsail

crufone at comcast.net crufone at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 08:53:24 PST 2010

Mike,

On my Typhoon I use one block attached to the same shackle which fastens the tack of the sail to the stem fitting and one additional block fastened to a deck strap which is just inside and aft of the aft port chain plate.  The line is made fast to a small cleat just inside the port combing close to the aft cabin bulkhead. I leave the downhaul on the boat fastened to the stem fitting when the sail is removed. When I hank on the sail I fasten the downhaul with a bowline thru the thimble of the wire in the luff of the headsail at the head and then just place the downhaul line along with the forestay inside each hank fitting. The tack block is positioned on the port side of the headsail cringle inside of the shackle so that the downhaul can be lead to the block and inside of the shackle so that it goes up the forestay very parallel to the stay.I just use an 1/8" braided nylon line. I have never had any issues with the downhaul jamming up or twisting the hanks. As I sail down the canal to home I flake the main and then can lower the jib quickly with the downhaul and coast up to the dock.

This is the beauty and fun of a smaller boat. But the same can be rigged for the A-30 with the same results and is especially useful when sailing shorthanded. If you were trying to lower a 160 Genoa on an Alberg 30 you might want to use 3/16" line for the downhaul. I also regulate the lowering of the sail by controlling the release of the halyard as I take in the downhaul. All lines are long enough so this can be accomplished while steering the boat with the tiller between your legs..........trying this with wheel steering would not be nearly as much fun. As Gord mentioned if you trim the sheet at the same time the sail ends up on the foredeck, not in the drink!

Michael #133 and #161 Typhoon